The F7F Tigercat first
flown in December of 1943. Before the first prototype was even built,
the Marine Corps placed an order for 500 Tigercats to be used for close
support for operations underway in the Pacific. Deliveries began in
April of 1944 but the F7F never saw operational service during WWII.
They were used post-war as night fighters, electronic reconnaissance
and photo reconnaissance. With the advent of jets, the Tigercats were
soon phased out for the jet aircraft performing those roles. A total of
364 Tigercats were built. Today, about a half a dozen or so remain in
airworthy condition. This one is owned by Clay Lacy, who keeps it in
NOTE: These image are NOT public domain, there are all
copyrighted. See copyright notice below.
Copyright notice: All images on this site are copyright
Van Gilder Aviation Photography. Images are not to be
reproduced, electronically or in print without expressed written
consent. If you wish to use any of the photos on this website,
contact us via e-mail.